Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders
From Cooking Light
Just in time for weekend grilling – sliders!! John and I disagreed a bit about this one. While we agreed that they were awesome, John felt that everyone knows how to make a burger, and therefore they are not blog-worthy. I disagreed. First, these are not burgers, they are sliders, and they are adorable. Second, it’s not some pre-made patty from the butcher counter, and it’s not just a plain beef patty. It has onions, so give it some credit. Third, I think it’s entirely possible that everyone does not, in fact, know how to make a burger. And finally, I actually do the blog writing, and therefore I win automatically. These are really really good little burgers. Juicy, with a little crunch from the shallots. The only thing I would change: mini pretzel buns. Why? Because I saw them at Whole Foods the other day and really really wanted an excuse to buy them. Sadly we shopped at Jewel for these and were limited by Pepperidge Farm’s pedestrian selection. Oh well, there’s always next time!
- 3 Tbsp shallots, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 12 oz ground sirloin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (~2 oz) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slider buns
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
- lettuce, torn into 8 slider-sized pieces
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Gently combine shallots, mustard, sirloin and pepper in a medium bowl – I just use my hands to mix it all up. Mix until just combined – don’t over mix.
- Divide beef mixture into 8 little balls. Flatten each ball, denting the center a little extra so that when they puff up during cooking they’re roughly level. Try to be gentle, not over smushing the meat.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray. Grill each burger about 2 minutes per side, or until desired degree of doneness. During the last minute of cooking, top each burger with a tablespoon of cheese.
- Lightly coat the cut sides of the buns with cooking spray. Grill buns, cut side down, for about 1 minute.
- Assemble burgers with lettuce, tomato , bacon and mayonnaise.
Serves 8 sliders – 3-4 people.