Bacon, Kale and Brussels Sprout Saute
From Taste of Home
Snow day!!!! Well, sort of. More like work from home day!!!! (Kid life > Adult life). But nonetheless, this means I can spend the time I would have used commuting in -20 weather to post something lovely on the blog!
So yeah, it’s cold outside. I’d venture to admit that it is, in fact, winter. And doing a Whole30 during the very official WINTER can definitely pose some challenges over the one we did in beautiful, bountiful September. But that’s not to say it’s impossible. Thanks to hearty veggies like kale and Brussels sprouts, the produce market isn’t a complete wash come January. We probably eat kale or spinach (or both) every single day. Usually it’s just in our morning egg scramble, but sometimes it’s fun to mix it up a bit at dinner time. This side dish combines two of our favorite veggies with our all-time favorite meat – bacon! Back when John was more of veggie virgin I used to use bacon to lure him in. Now it’s just the icing on the (proverbial paleo) cake. Yummo.
- 4 slices bacon (we get Whole30 approved bacon from U.S. Wellness Meats, but you could also look for a nitrite-free bacon with sugar very very low in the ingredient list and no other sketchy ingredients and feel pretty good about it)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 packed cup kale, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chipped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Place bacon in a small Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, flipping often, until crisp. Remove bacon to drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings in pot.
- Add butter to drippings and increase heat to medium high. Add Brussels sprouts, kale, onion, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until sprouts are crisp-tender.
- Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Crumble bacon and add to pan along with walnuts and balsamic vinegar. Cook 1 more minute. Serve.