From John’s Mom’s Friend, Stacy
As promised yesterday, here is the follow up to our baja fish tacos – a delightful fresh salsa that comes together in about 10 minutes. Maybe 15 if you’re more patient than me and actually chop everything to bite size pieces. I’ve had this appetizer at John’s family events time after time, but never in a million, zillion years would I have guessed that the zingy flavor comes from a packet of Italian dressing mix. I mean, it doesn’t even make sense. It’s a Mexican dip! But whoever came up with the bizarre combo in the first place was onto something, because it just works.
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 3 large tomatoes, cubed as small as you have the patience to do
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 packet Italian dressing mix (such as Good Seasons)
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Combine all ingredients. Can be combined ahead of time, with the exception of the avocado, which will turn brown after a while.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes a LOT. I’d say this serves a party of people.