Greek Orzo Salad
From Gourmet via Epicurious
Please accept my apology for such delinquent blogging! It’s been almost a week since I posted the world’s moistest cornbread, and I’m sure you’ve all missed me dearly. Right?? Well regardless, I’m back after a busy busy week, just in time for a SUPER lazy weekend. In a strange turn of events virtually everyone I know, including my husband, has vacated the Chicago city limits to celebrate Memorial Day. So for the next 4 days it’s just me, two pups and a kitchen. After a week with practically zero cooking, save for two mediocre non-blog-worthy recipes, it’s good to be back. As per usual I used my first John-less night to make something far too vegetarian to count as dinner in his book.
I was introduced to orzo pasta salad at the high school graduation party (too many years ago for me to want to put down in writing…let’s just say we have a HS reunion in the near future…ugh) of one of my closest and Greek-est friends. I fell in love and have been making similar recipes ever since. What’s not to love about slippery little noodles, feta cheese, salty olives, and the crunch of cucumber and red onion? And lucky for me I have a whole tupperware full of it to keep me company all weekend long.
- 1 cup orzo, uncooked
- 1 15-oz can pigeon peas, drained and rinsed (the original recipe called for black eyed peas, which I could not find to save my life – a little research told me that pigeon peas and kidney beans are good substitutes)
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
- 8 oz crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup pitted katamala olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 peperoncini, diced
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Rinse under cold water. Drain.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate, which I think makes it even better. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Serves 10-12 side dishes or 6 large salads.