Paleo BBQ Sauce
From the Vitamix Create Cookbook
This is the first in a two-part series I’m calling “How having a husband prepares you for having kids.” While I don’t have any kids yet, based on what I’ve gathered about their tendencies and preferences I’m 99% certain that living and compromising with John on a daily basis is a pretty solid precursor. For example, given the option, John would dip everything in ketchup. A fact he reminds me of often during the Whole30 when his Heinz habit goes unsatisfied for a whole month. Last time we did a Whole30 I attempted to be a nice wife and make him paleo ketchup. Yeah…I should have known that if he can recognize and reject House Recipe brand, he would DEFINITELY not be pleased with a sugarless paleo version. So this Whole30 I wised up and went with a homemade BBQ sauce alternative instead. He’s a BBQ sauce fan, but it doesn’t hold nearly the place of honor that ketchup does, so it was a little less risky. Sure enough, this sauce was a winner and has made its way onto our table for a number of meals so far. We’re especially loving it on kalua pork, but it would be great on chicken, shrimp, or even salmon. And let’s not forget paleo chicken nuggets, whether you have kids in the house or not!
- 1 cup (110 grams) sun-dried tomatoes
- 9 pitted medjool dates
- 1 cup (180 grams) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (160 grams) onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Place everything in a blender or food processor. To be honest, I’m not sure which would work best. We did a blender, but it seemed to stress it out quite a bit. I think perhaps a food processor would have been better.
- Process until sauce is smooth. It’s not going to be quite like store bought BBQ sauce. Ok, it won’t be like it at all. It’s somewhere between a paste and a sauce. But don’t fret, the flavor is great, and that’s what counts.
- Serve on anything that would be good with BBQ sauce!
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.