Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
From Impeccable Taste
I love creamy salads. Potato salad. Macaroni salad. Chicken salad. Basically mayo + anything = happy Tera. Sadly, these delicacies are often reserved for the summer months. So for the past 28 years I’ve spent October through April counting down the days till the picnics and BBQs that would signify the return of creamy salad season. Well wait no more! In my opinion, because this potato salad features the classic cold weather potato – sweet potatoes, it deserves to be served year round. Plus they’re roasted rather than just boiled which adds a nutty layer of flavor perfect for a chilly day. Frankly, I don’t see any reason why this puppy can’t make an appearance on a Christmas table, or perhaps a New Years Day brunch!
- 4 lb sweet potatoes (we actually used a mix of about 3 lbs sweet potatoes and 1 lb red potatoes), peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 5 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green onions, thinly sliced (about 1 bunch)
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced (about 4 stalks)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees, with 2 foil-lined baking sheets in the oven while it preheats.
- Place potatoes in a big bowl. Melt 4 tablespoons of the oil and drizzle over the potatoes. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Melt 2 more tablespoons of oil. Carefully remove the baking sheets from the oven and drizzle each with half the oil. Distribute the potatoes across the 2 baking sheets, and arrange them into a single layer.
- Bake 15 minutes, then remove and stir the potatoes. Continue to cook 10 more minutes. Potatoes should be fork tender. Drain on 2 paper towel-lined plates and set aside to cool.
- Place cooled potatoes, hard boiled eggs, green onions, celery and bacon in a large bowl and stir to combine. In a small bowl whisk together mayo, relish and mustard. Drizzle over potato mixture and stir to combine well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.