Salted Toffee Squares
From Martha Stewart
I LOVE my book club. I can’t think of any other institution that affords me an excuse to read a great book, enjoy fabulous company, drink copious amounts of wine mid-week, and gorge on special occasion party food – all on a monthly basis! And once or twice a year it even gives me a chance to play hostess and finally make all the appetizer and dessert recipes I tend save without purpose.
This month marked my fourth book club hostessing experience, and the very first to take place in the new house. True to Honeymoon Kitchen form John helped me prep most of the goodies the day before, but then he wisely headed out of town for work before 8 wine-drunk ladies descended on the house.
Since this book club is nothing if not decadent, I’m starting this series of posts by serving up dessert first. And speaking of desserts, I’ll be the first to admit I’m a pretty lousy baker. Not a lot of blog-worthy desserts are likely to come out of the Honeymoon Kitchen. But THESE, I can do. I can do them well. Like crave-worthy, can’t stop eating them well. But it’s not because I’m good, it’s because they are that easy, and because the genius that is Martha Stewart created them, and because they contain 2 sticks of butter and a half cup of sugar. Yeah, that last one is probably the key…
- 16 graham crackers
- 1 8-oz bag toffee bits (it has to be pure toffee bits, not chocolate and toffee bits mixed together – Heath Bits ‘O Brickle Toffee Bits is what I always use – it can be hard to find, so I stock up when I do)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Thoroughly line a baking sheet with foil.
- Break graham crackers into squares and arrange them on the baking sheet in a single layer. I try to get the absolute most out of this recipe, so I may break some of the graham crackers into the smaller, quarter segments to make sure I can fill the whole baking sheet. I usually end up using about 16 full sized crackers, broken into squares or quarter strips.
- Sprinkle toffee bits and almonds over graham crackers.
- Place sugar and butter in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook at a rapid simmer for 2 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally, until the mixture is syrupy.
- Immediately pour butter mixture evenly over the graham crackers.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips and salt over graham crackers. Return to oven for 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt and cool completely.
- Break into squares and prepare to eat WAY too many in one sitting.
- If there’s any left (doubtful) store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
Makes about 30 squares.