From Southern Living
This one is definitely a nominee for ugliest picture on the blog. I’m pretty sure biscuits and gravy could be the final exam for an advanced food photography class, because it’s just plain hard to make it look good in a picture. Even the Southern Living Magazine picture isn’t anything to write home about. But hopefully you’ve had biscuits and gravy before, in which case you are completely aware that looks can be deceiving. And if you’ve only had it at greasy spoon diners, then perhaps you didn’t know that it’s SUPER easy to make at home. Like 6 ingredients including salt and pepper easy. Obviously the proper Southern thing to do would be to make your own biscuits to go with it, something that this gravy absolutely deserves, but sometimes that’s just not in the cards on Sunday morning. In that case, pick up a 7th ingredient – canned biscuits, and you’re on your way to falling back asleep in a delicious sausage coma by 10am 🙂
- 8 oz pork sausage (it usually comes in a 16oz log, we really like it with the spicy kind)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- biscuits, homemade or (gasp) the refrigerated tube kind
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring to break meat up.
- Remove sausage from pan, placing it on a plate covered with paper towels to drain.
- Add butter to any drippings in the pan. Melt over medium heat.
- Add flour to pan and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes a nice gravy consistency. Be patient, at first it looks like it’s never going to thicken up, but after a while it’ll get there. If it takes 10 minutes, so be it.
- Stir in sausage, salt and pepper.
- Serve over biscuits.