Smoked Salmon and Wheat Berry Salad

Smoked Salmon Wheat Berry Salad

Smoked Salmon and Wheat Berry Salad
From Cooking Light

I almost completely prefer it when John is in town.  Every time he finds out he has to travel for work (which is never more than about 48 hours before he has to leave), my immediate reaction is super bummed.  And like I said, for the most part, I am.  Maybe 90% bummed.  That remaining 10% of me is focused on things like turning on all the lights when I wake up for work before John has to and watching epic marathons of Grey’s Anatomy all evening.  And sometimes, when I’m feeling really crazy, I set my sights on a week of smoked salmon.  Yes, smoked salmon.  For some unknown reason, despite liking all sorts of sushi and smoked meats, John is not a smoked salmon fan.  I, on the other hand, could eat the delicacy daily.  And on two occasions – cruise ship breakfast buffets and weeks home alone – I do just that.  Typically I just go for the classic bread/cream cheese/caper/salmon combo, but sometimes I like to get a little crazy.  Hence this fancy pants salad.  It’s great day-of, but perhaps even better for lunch the next day.  And it definitely helps make a lonely week go a little faster.


  • 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
  • 1 1/2 cups Fuji apples, diced
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
  • 8 oz smoked salmon, chopped
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper


  1. Place wheat berries in a bowl and cover with 2-inches of water.  Cover and let stand at least 8 hours.
  2. Drain, then place wheat berries in a medium saucepan.  Cover with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 40-60 minutes.  Taste periodically – they’re done when they’re chewy and still have a bite, but not crunchy.  Drain and place in a large bowl.
  3. Add apples, walnuts, salmon, onion and celery to the bowl.
  4. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon, salt and pepper.  Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours, or over night.

Serves 4.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

4 Responses to Smoked Salmon and Wheat Berry Salad

  1. Doreen Dodero says:

    I agree with John. It is strange how much I like salmon and don’t like smoked salmon. How about a recipe for left-over salmon. It would be easy to bake an extra piece when making it for dinner. This recipe would probably work for that. (minus wheat berries)

  2. pxtfihshgz says:

    Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion?

  3. lkkpyxaabz says:

    Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *