Spinach, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Crepes
From Closet Cooking
Back in my professional crepe making days (yes, I was a professional crepe maker, didn’t you read Monday’s post!?) my all time favorites were savory crepes. We served one stuffed with chicken pot pie filling that was the stuff dreams are made of. A lot of people associate crepes with breakfast and dessert, but these “really thin pancakes” deserve more time in the dinner spotlight. This recipe isn’t quite as decadent as the chicken pot pie version, but it is perfectly savory with the creamy goat cheese and tart splash of balsamic vinegar.
Random side note on the mushroom mixture: if you don’t already, try adding thyme to just about anything with mushrooms. We discovered this combo in a mushroom pizza recipe two summers ago, and have been hooked ever since. Plus cooking with thyme is my favorite thanks to all the great puns (the more wine we drink while cooking, the more puns…poor John).
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced (we used creminis and shiitakes – anything would work, but exotics and mixes always have a deeper flavor)
- 1 Tbsp thyme, chopped
- 4 oz spinach
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 splash dry Sherry or Marsala
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 small crepes
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion and saute until just starting to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute about 1 minute.
- Add the butter and let it melt.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper, and saute until soft.
- Add Sherry or Marsala and scrape the pan with a wooden spoon to deglaze.
- Add spinach and saute until wilted.
- Meanwhile, place balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until it is reduced to a syrupy consistency.
- Divide mushroom mixture across 4 crepes, drizzle with balsamic reduction, and sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Fold crepe in half and serve.
Makes 4 small crepes.