Tex-Mex Breakfast Casserole
How’s that for an uggo picture. Yeah, tex-mex breakfast casserole, the camera most certainly does NOT love you, but my taste buds sure do. I’ve eaten a lot of breakfast casseroles in my day, but none quite like this. We made it during our Whole30 challenge, which meant we couldn’t have a number of the breakfast casserole standbys – namely bread, cheese and white potatoes. So the focus here becomes sweet potatoes and meat, which is hardly the end of the world. The result is much denser and decidedly less eggy than a typical breakfast casserole, but delightful nonetheless. Once it cools down it’s easy to cut into pieces that can be reheated individually in the toaster oven or microwave, making awesome leftovers that will keep you full for hours!
- 1 Tbsp butter (we actually used duck fat because we’re weird and have a tub of it in the fridge)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb raw Mexican chorizo (or you could use a whole pound of ground beef)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (you could do it with a grater, but unless you’re looking to get a workout, I’d recommend using your food processor)
- 1 14-oz can enchilada sauce
- 6 eggs, whisked
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place a large cast iron skillet (or any oven-proof skillet) over medium heat. Add butter.
- When butter is melted add onion and garlic and saute. When onion just begins to soften, add ground beef and chorizo, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- When meat is almost cooked through add chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Press meat mixture down so that it’s flat. Top with shredded sweet potatoes and spread them out so they are evenly covering it. Pour enchilada sauce over the sweet potatoes and use a wooden spoon to spread it around. Cover and let simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until sweet potato begins to soften.
- Remove from heat. Add eggs and stir everything together to combine.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
Makes a LOT! Probably serves 6. Leftovers reheat well in the microwave or the toaster oven. Yummo.